Saturday, January 25, 2014

Experimental success

Finally an experiment with coconut flour that worked! (Aside from the carob chip cookies that is. Those worked perfect :D) I've been trying to come up with something I can eat for breakfast that consists of more than fruit and turkey bacon. The past couple of weeks, I've tried a derivative of either waffles or pancakes, but since all the recipes I've found require eggs, and substituting bananas or applesauce just didn't seem to cut it, all I wound up with was basically a mess, and wasted (very expensive) ingredients. Then I realized, the coconut flour eggless recipe for cookies tells has me bake them. So maybe baking something is the answer. Introducing banana bread. It doesn't taste quite like normal banana bread, and it is far more dense, but it worked! It hold together, and I can eat it in slices like you're supposed to! :D The recipe is below. I tweaked the one I found online a little bit, so this is the tweaked version. You can find the original here (if you can eat rice flour, I'm sure it turns out a little better than mine did.)



Just over 1/2 tsp powdered stevia  (or 3/4 cup sugar)
1/2 cup olive oil
2 eggs, or an extra banana (I used the extra banana)
4 mashed bananas (so technically 5 bananas total if you use the extra banana instead of the eggs)
1/4 cup (roughly, I stopped measuring after I added 2 Tbsp, and just added more as I thought it needed it)
1 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup coconut flour
Pre-heat oven to 350, cook for 40 minutes. And there you go!
 It doesn't rise at all, and it's very thick, like dough you would roll, instead of batter, so I just pressed it into my loaf pan. Basically, once it's in the pan, that's the amount of bread you're going to get. It also has sort of a slightly uncooked, doughy texture even after it's done cooking, but believe me, if you leave it in until the middle seems all the way cooked, it's going to be seriously burnt on the outside.

No comments: