Monday, June 25, 2012

When you read, you learn :)

My apologies on the absent posts the last few days. I was in CA for the weekend for my friend's wedding, and the following activities kind of precluded internet time :).

I recently finished the book "Decision Making and the Will of God" by Gary Friesan. In short, it was an amazing book that taught me a lot of things I didn't know before, put old truths in a new perspective, and generally made me look differently at how I make decisions. (I discussed this a little bit here, but just so you get a better idea of what the book is talking about, I figured I would go into some more detail.)

For example, the whole premise of the book is that the traditional viewpoint of Christian decision making is cumbersome at best, and stress inducing at worst. This viewpoint is taught, or in some cases simply learned, in a few different ways. For Christians that are raised in a Christian home, they are given the example of their parents. Children will see their parents pray to God for guidance, and watch while they wait for an answer. When the parents believe they have the answer, then act upon it. In discussions afterwards, the conversation might center around the child's attempt to understand what the parent was doing, and the parents responding that they were obeying God by asking Him what He wanted them to do. When they found out the precise action that God wanted them to take, they did it, no questions asked, because God told them to, and to do otherwise would be disobedience.

Another way that the traditional view might be learned is through the intentional teachings of a church. When a young Christian goes to a church ,and hears a sermon on the will of God, he might learn that God has a perfect plan for your life, and that it is all encompassing. He then learns that the way to discover this plan is to pray and ask God for direction in every decision that He makes. God will be faithful, and provide the answer.

Sometimes, this belief is learned simply through a misunderstanding of what is being taught, or the lack of questions on the student's part. However it is learned, though, the result is that the believer determines that he cannot make a decision without specifically hearing God's voice, however that may impress itself, and once the voice of God is heard, there are no other choices. There is only one right choice, and to choose otherwise is to be outside of God's will.

One of the major problems that arise with this kind of decision making format, however, is that if it is to be used, it must be used in EVERY decision a person makes. From putting on your shoes in the morning, to what you will eat for dinner, to whether or not you should go on that date, the traditional view says God has a specific choice appointed for every believer, and if you don't pick his way, then you are not allowing Him to guide your life, and you won't be as happy.

Another problem with it is the anxiety that it produces. If you must know exactly what choice God wants you to make in order to be happy, then the time spent on finding the answer to that question is going to be enormous. Especially when you don't receive a clear answer.

On the flip side, however, is what the book calls the way of wisdom. This means that time is spent becoming wise, by reading your Bible, and talking with God, and studying. Then, based on the truths you have learned, you make the decision that you believe to be most spiritually expedient. (I realize the phrase spiritually expedient is rather vague. Basically, it just means that whatever you think will allow you to serve God most advantageously) Basing a decision on what is spiritually expedient, rather than on what God wants you to do specifically, is rather freeing. It allows you to make decisions without having to worry about making the wrong one. As long as you are within the moral guidelines set out in the Bible, no matter what your decision is, it is the right one.

There are choices you can make that would be less desirable, or less spiritually expedient, than others (such as marrying a person you don't know) but you have not sinned in making these choices, because they are within the area of freedom given to believers. However, while this may seem like it turns decision making into an enormous task, the truth is that God has given you gifts and desires that will help you to know what the most spiritually expedient decision to make.

For example, God has given me a desire to work with the Deaf, a gift for learning their language, and a heart for missions. While this does not mean that if I continue to work at a swimming pool all of my life I am outside of God's will, and therefore sinning, it does mean that the best way for me to serve God is through missions to the Deaf. It also means that I will find the greatest pleasure in this kind of work, as opposed to any other kind of job I might take.

Now, the best part about all of this? I don't have to worry about making the wrong choice, or not having enough faith in God. It's ok that I'm not on the mission field right now. It's ok for me to postpone that part of my life, because doing so is not disobedience. I can use my gifts to serve God in other ways right now, and I don't have to feel guilty about not following God's will. I have the freedom to choose how I will use my gifts to serve God, and even though in the long run I want to do Bible translation, I am not outside of God's will by not pursuing it wholeheartedly right now.

No comments: