Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Relationships and spiritual growth

After finishing "Decision Making and the Will of God" I decided to read another book called "How People Grow" by Drs. John Townsend, and Henry Cloud. I haven't finished it yet, but so far the major theme seems to be that people don't grow without other people in their life to help them along the way. I think this is great practical advice. They also stress the aspect that prayer has, and while I fully believe in the power of prayer, they do take what seems to be a more "name it and claim it" approach, (Not in the "pray for a million dollars and God will give it to you" kind of way, but definitely in the "God promises He will answer, so whatever you pray for he will give you" kind of way) but that's not really the point.

I love that they say to get yourself involved with people. It's along the same lines of the messages the past few weeks at Bible study (what friendship looks like, and what an imbalanced relationship looks like). Basically, making sure that you have all of the right kinds of people in your life.

The hardest part about all of this, though, is that connecting with people is the thing I have the hardest time with. It makes sense that it is through your relationships that God causes you to grow,but that does make the process a lot more difficult for me :P

No comments: