Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Learning to live in the valleys

Today I felt like God was trying to tell me something. Because I am enjoying it here so much, I am having a hard time coming to terms with the thought of going home at the end of the summer. And I don't have to. I'm not even completely sure that that's what God is telling me to do. I do feel confident in the fact that it will be a life changing decision, one way or the other, but don't feel like there is specific direction for me one way or the other. The results of the decision will be big, but I feel like how ever it plays out in the end, God will bring about the same work in my life.

The thing is, I like it here in large part because it feels like I am at summer camp again. Yes, I am working hard, and still living life, but I have been separated from everything that was a spiritual distraction to me in California. I feel like I have been given space to really hear God's voice, out here in this quiet town in Texas. Much like camp, I feel like I have learned a lot in a very short amount of time, and like camp, am in close communion with other Christians in a way that didn't happen in California. Unlike camp, I don't have to leave. This could be my life for the foreseeable future, if I so choose, and the pull to that is immensely strong.

But I also feel like, like camp, that I have not been called to spend my life secluded and in communion only with other strong believers. It is my calling as a Christian to live among those who need Christ. It is my calling as a Christian to be a witness to the fallen. I can't do that if I live my life among those who are already strong, growing Christians. It is good for me to be in fellowship with them, because we need to support each other, but I can't spend my life there. It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick.

How long is long enough for me to experience my spiritual jumpstart, before it is time to go back to the rest of the world? Just like you can't spend your life on the spiritual high you receive at summer camp, I feel like I can't spend my life on the spiritual high I am receiving here. The question is, will it always be a spiritual high? Or can it become real life too? Do I have to go back to California in order to get off the mountain and live life in the real world again, or is that possible here? I don't think I'll spend the rest of my life here, but even an extended period of time can have far reaching results. So which do I choose?

1 comment:

thmoot said...

Remember Honey, that living a vital, growing, abundant Christian life should be the "norm" so that real life may not be so terribly far from what you have experienced at camp. Frankly, it should be better because it is a lasting experience and not something you have to "come down" from.
Keep praying, and stay in God's Word so that you can hear Him speak to you about His hopes and dreams for your life. Whatever He wants for you and wherever He wants you, it will be good.

Mom