Thursday, May 3, 2012

God's little surprises

I was supposed to post this yesterday, but with the arrival of my new roommate, it kind of went out of my head :P.

Last night, after I got off work, I got myself ready and went to church. I went there on Sunday morning, and liked it well enough. It wasn't mind blowing, but it was comfortable, as it was a typical contemporary Southern Baptist service. I saw in the bulletin that they had a women's Bible study on Wednesdays at 6, so I decided to go. I almost didn't, because I was tired, and making myself go into new situations like that takes a fair amount of energy, not to mention guts :P. The study was on Nehemiah, with sort of a Beth Moore format (you know, watch a video, do the homework in the book that has been provided, discuss). I wasn't entirely sure how I felt about it, but then we broke up into small groups, and a girl (Mindy) I had been talking to before the study started offered for me to go into her group with her, so I did.

The discussion was good, but what really got to me was how friendly they were. They were amazed that I had moved all by myself from California to Texas. The thing that amazed me the most, however, was how quickly God allowed me to connect with Mindy. She's my age, likes to rock climb, and was a rappelling instructor for 5th graders in Colorado for a while. She also invited me to her movie night tonight.

I started out, terrified, and almost on the verge of an anxiety attack, and God turned it into a wonderful experience that allowed me to make a new friend, and even enabled me to be in a position to meet more potential friends tonight. He really is a good God. :)

No comments: