Thursday, April 21, 2011

frustrations leading to determination

I seem to have the problem of not being satisfied with my life, but not knowing what I need to do in order to be satisfied with it. This dissatisfaction seems to be coming from the belief that I am doing nothing with my life. I look at my friends, and yes, I compare myself to them. Either they are in relationships that are leading to marriage, or they have a pretty clearly defined goal for their education, but any way I look at it, I feel stuck. I don't like my major, I wish I had picked something else that would have been more beneficial job wise. I dislike both of my paid jobs because all either one does is stress me out and make me afraid that I'm going to get fired. I like my internship, but don't know how beneficial it will be long term. (I can see the possibilities of the benefits long term, but there is no guarantee that it will work out according to it's possibilities).

Then I realized something. My greatest desire is to use my ASL training as a ministry to deaf people. What is stopping me from doing that right now? I have a church that is suing me as an interpreter, and have heard the other leaders say many times that they wish they were taking sign language classes so they could have basic communication with the girl I interpret for. A few weeks ago, I had a couple of little girls ask me how to say things in sign so they could talk to her and ask her to be friends. The other day, a friend of mine asked me to consider teaching her some sign so she could use it at church (she decided to go to the community college for it instead because she'll get a better education from them, but still). All of this has made me realize that there is no reason why I can't start a deaf ministry at my church. I am a member now, and as basic as it was, the class I took at Immanuel in high school was a lot of fun, and really helpful. So why not? (I also just e-mailed one of the Biola professors about maybe getting a deaf ministry started on campus.) I can live my dream right now, without waiting for further training, because I'm not getting paid for this. Something is better than nothing, and I think I can pull it off.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

hey abbeykins hang in there girl i have all faith and hope in you that you can do just about anything as long as you put your mind to it(like you always have! :D) and i believe you meant to say *using* and not *suing* lolz :P i'm always praying for you!!! ^_^ and i miss having you in highland! lol :)

~jenny~