Wednesday, December 22, 2010

because I'll never really say it in person.

Dr. Vincent,
I don't even know where to begin. I feel like this last semester was so difficult and trying to talk to you about it was like trying to talk to a brick wall. Each time I tried to explain the amount of stress I was under, in the hopes that you would have some advice on how to organize things, or a way to work with me, I was told that personally you commiserated with me, but academically I needed to suck it up and deal with it, and if I couldn't I was going to get a B. You told me at the beginning of the semester, when I specifically made office hours to work on my notes, that unnecessary, there was no point, but then told me that they weren't good enough. It wasn't until after I pushed the issue (and cried about my confusion) that you finally gave me some clearer instruction (but not until after I only had 2 sets of notes left, so at that point it didn't do me a whole lot of good anyway). At Don Rags you told me that I did a really good job on the make-up assignment for Coleridge, then asked me why I never did that well on anything else (and then refused to believe me when I told you that it was because of the nature of the assignment, that all I did was copy the example that was given to me with the correct information, so it really wasn't anything more than filling in the blanks). On top of that you told me that because I did so well, I showed you that I was capable of far more than I was doing, and therefore you could not give me a good grade on the rest of my work. Thank you for punishing me for doing well on an assignment.

You also told me that because I got the ideas of Kant and Schleiermacher (the two hardest books we've read so far by the way) wrong that I obviously didn't learn anything this semester, and because of all of this put together, I did indeed deserve a B. I don't know what else you want from me. You have made it quite clear that doing the work and making the effort is not enough, that I have to have a passion for everything that we read, and apparently expect me to spend as much time on my four unit semesters as I did on my twelve unit semesters. (You told me as much when you said that now that I don't have twelve units anymore, I should have plenty of time to really focus hard on the quality of my work.) Apparently you don't understand the concept of other classes or working 20 hours in a week. So, thank you for making me feel like a lazy brat who is simply trying to sail her way through by doing as little as possible, and thank you for the panic attacks that your expectations resulted in.

Sincerely,

No comments: