Monday, May 14, 2012

Homesick

As difficult as it is for me to admit it, I am homesick. It's fun to be here, and I know I'll enjoy exploring things some, especially as my stay extends, but often, I just want to be at home again. Part of that, I'm sure is because I have a very open ended stay. I can stay past September if I want to, or I can go home. I don't know what my feelings will be come September, but I tend to think that this would be easier if I knew for sure, one way or the other, how long I am going to be here. It prevents me from feeling like I have failed, as well. If I set September as my end date, then when I pack up and leave in September, it will be because I chose to, not because I wasn't able to make it past the 5 months. That's a very helpful thing for my pride :P. I am leery of setting a return date too much past that, because I don't want to commit to staying here, then have a hard time finding work, which would be another failure. I also, however, don't want to set September as a hard and fast leaving time, because what if it gets here, and I've so connected to the people in the area that I'm ready to leave yet? It makes for a difficult situation, to be sure. I suppose I could say that I will stay through the end of December, but really, job openings seem to follow the school year, so if I quit and go home in December, I'm not going to have an easy time finding work. This makes me think that my options are really, to either leave in September, or stay until next may. I'm not sure which one to choose.

1 comment:

Steve Finnell said...

you are invited to follow my blog