Saturday, May 19, 2012

Encouragement

For the past 7 months, I have been rigorously pushing myself to get my debt paid off. I have pretty well so far, I think. I got my car paid off, my furniture, one of my credit cards, and, most recently, a loan I took out from School's first. I still have a long way to go, however, as I have one more credit card (over 2,000 dollars) and upwards of 80,000 remaining in other student loans. Knowing that the likelihood of me landing a job that pays more than 30,000/year is slim, can be pretty discouraging at times, mostly because it means that I'm not likely to have the luxury of working only one job.

However, I read this article today, and I do feel kind of encouraged. Now, while the guy in the article managed to pay off 90,000 in debt in just seven months, he also had a job paying him upwards of 100,000/year, as well as a home that he owned, two cars, and a motorcycle (my point being that he had a lot more that he could sell off, and ways in which to supplement his income, besides having an annual salary that actually equaled more than the total of his debt, but that's beside the point.) He was able to go from living at 7500/month to living at 3200/month. Now, again, while I have basically cut as many expenses as I can, without cutting my transportation too much, I do have some free time, and there are free lance jobs available.

Basically what I'm saying is, I think it will help if I give myself a deadline to have my loans paid off by. Doing so will be more of a goal than simply saying I'm going to get my loans paid off as quickly as possible. It will also help me to see the light at the end of the tunnel. This does not mean that if I get ahead I will let myself slack off, because honestly, why in the world would I want to continue to spend 800-1200/month on loans when I don't have to? The United States Government and Sallie Mae have given me 10 years to pay off my loans. I am giving myself 3. To do so means bringing in 3,000/month. Do I have any idea how this will happen? None. But I do know that so far God has provided for me, and I believe wholeheartedly that He will continue to do so :).

No comments: