Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Vegetarians and Christianity

The other day in class, a friend of mine was talking with me about how he's a vegetarian, and that he thinks everyone should be because it's cruel to eat animals. He asked me what I thought about it, and I told him that I am a Christian, and therefore believe what the Bible says about God giving us animals for our benefit(or something to that effect, I can't remember the verse right off the bat). He then said that the verse that talks about that, in the original Greek, the word doesn't mean rule, that we can make them do what we want them to, but more council, or guide. That we have in fact enslaved animals, and to eat them is cruel. Now I obviously don't see his point of view, but if what he said is true, and that we are supposed to be more a guide, and than a ruler, then could it conceivably be wrong to eat meat? I know animals aren't people, and therefore don't have rights like we do, but there must be a reason why we don't eat certain animals right? Or is it just a matter of culture? Like do they eat dogs and cats in other countries?and if so, is it a sin? I don't know, just something I was thinking about.

1 comment:

Possum said...

If he's referring to Genesis 1, where God gave us "dominion" (in the KJV), then it would be the original Hebrew, not the original Greek. :-) I haven't any idea what the original Hebrew says, but I'm pretty sure that two things are explicit in the Bible:

God gave certain animals for the Israelites to eat in the Old Testament Law as clean. That means God doesn't consider it a sin to eat meat, as God wouldn't commend something evil.

God gave all the rest :) of the animals to Peter to eat in his vision (Acts 11). He says to Peter, "Kill and eat." So, the Bible is pretty explicit on whether or not it's ok to eat meat. And it is.

Regarding your next post:

I can see reasons to think that, before the Fall, nature was the way that it is. Lions are built to kill: and if that's how God intended them to be when he created them, and he created them the way they are now, then it must be that it's not wrong for Lion's to kill. Everything about them is designed for the purpose of ending another life to continue their own: all the way down to their digestive system.

So, I lean towards the view that either Eden was special and isolated, or the immorality of humans did not extend beyond to other creatures. Not sure how it worked, the Bible doesn't seem explicit on this point.

It seems there are some Biblical problems with this view, though I can't remember them at the moment. I'd be interested to interact with those if so. The Isaiah passage regarding the Lion and the Lamb could either be poetic (look how cool it will be!) or maybe when Christ returns Lions will eat straw, I don't know. Maybe things will be better after he returns than things were before the Fall. I'm not sure how it important it is, though it's interesting to think about.