Saturday, June 2, 2012

Breaking bad habits

I think the hardest part about this challenge I've given myself to get up at 7 is the fact that I have gotten into the immensely bad habit of waking up, and turning my alarm off; in fact, that's what happened this morning. :(  It's so easy to let my desire to sleep more determine my actions for the morning. It feels GOOD to go back to sleep. In fact, hearing the alarm go off, and knowing I can re-set it and go back to sleep is one of the best feelings in the world, especially when I can do it without ditching anything that morning, so there's no feeling of guilt to go along with it.

The problem is that I am ditching something. I'm ditching my time with God. I have determined that sleep is more important to me than getting up spending time with the single most important being in my life. Even if all I have planned is praise songs to listen to, I would still be spending that time with God, in worship of Him.

It's so easy to make myself believe that He doesn't really care. But he must, or I wouldn't have such a desire to fight this. I have determined in the past that my commitments to work or school (but work was always a stronger encouragement to get up than school was) are important enough for me to drag myself out of bed. After all, I need the money, it looks bad if I get fired for sleeping through my shift, I can't call in because there's no one else to cover for me, etc etc etc. But relationships never have had this pull on me. If I had something scheduled for the early morning, a hang out with a friend, most of the time I would get up for it, but every now and then I would decide that I was just too tired. But I wasn't, not really. I just wanted to sleep more. I didn't have the energy, or the willpower, or whatever, to pull myself out of bed. It wasn't worth it enough for me to do that, except when the activity planned was something that I was REALLY looking forward to (like an early morning hike, or an off roading trip, and even rock climbing). What bothers me is that sleep almost always has first priority in my life, and that's not right. I miss out on too much of life. It's time to stop letting the amount of sleep I get determine how stressed I am throughout the day, and it's time to stop letting sleep be my number one desire. Lord Help me.

No comments: