Thursday, February 18, 2010

Lent

While I do not attend a church that practices Lent, some of my family members do, and a lot of the kids in my Torrey group do. This makes it hard to go through the season of Lent without thinking about. Why is it such a big deal? does it really matter if you give something up for 40 days before Easter? While the technical answer is no(i.e. you won't go to hell just because you didn't observe Lent) the spiritual answer, I think, is yes. The reason for Lent is explained much better by one of my friends here (that may have gotten it from one of his, I'm not sure :P) anyway, what I got from reading this was that the practice of Lent is good for your soul. Or at least, it's supposed to be. It often comes across to those, like me, from a more evangelical background as just one more rule to follow, it seems a little legalistic. However, when you take the time to stop and think about what it can really do for you, the practice of not just giving something up because you have to, but because you want to, because Christ did and that's the least you can do, it makes more sense.

Thinking about it on these lines then raises the question, at least for me, why don't we do that more often? Aren't we called as Christians to give of ourselves, give up ourselves, in order to follow Christ? I think that far too often it seems too easy to give up and take the easy road. So, with this in mind, I think I might just give Lent a shot. I'm not giving something up just to say that I did it, but because it seems like it could have some real worth. So, while I am struggling to make everything in my life work together well, it seems that giving up a little bit more of that sleep I love so dearly would be beneficial. Not just to say that I slept less though. I also want to start regularly going to chapel in the mornings too. I know technically Lent started on Wednesday, but it doesn't hurt to start now :P God help me to drag my lazy butt out of bed in the mornings :P

1 comment:

Libby said...

Those are some good thoughts, Abbey. There are many reasons I observe lent. Not the least of which is the fact that it serves as a very tangible and constant reminder of Jesus. When I see x or y that I've given up for lent, it reminds me "I don't need x or y; all I need is Jesus."

Lent serves to prepare us for Easter. We're simplifying our lives, purging, in order to spend more time preparing our hearts. It's important to note that we're not giving up something that is bad (i.e., you don't give up lying and stealing for lent.), just something that we don't need. We want to be able to pick it back up joyfully after Easter.

I've never looked forward to Easter so much, or celebrated it with as much joy, as I have since I started observing lent. The fast helps you to enjoy the feast.

Next year, if you want to observe lent again, you might consider attending an Ash Wednesday service. There's no better way to start off the season of lent.